As part of the Leonardtown Rotary Club’s commitment to Community Service, funding assistance is provided annually to programs and projects in St. Mary’s County that enhance the quality of life in our community. A key element of “service above self” as practiced by the Leonardtown Rotary Club is providing grant funds to local public service agencies and nonprofit programs that provide human services to the citizens of St. Mary’s County. This is a competitive grant process and awards typically range between $250 and $500 depending on the need expressed in the application and funding availability.
Applications are made available in early January via letters to previous recipients, public media and our website. The final due date is typically the first Friday of March. Members of the Leonardtown Rotary Club’s Community Service Lane review all applications at the Club’s March business meeting. Their recommendations are presented to the full Leonardtown Rotary Club Board at their regular April meeting where they are voted on. Award recipients are notified in mid-April and the awards are presented at the Leonardtown Rotary Club’s business meeting on the last Thursday in April or May.
Jan 15, 2017
Letters to former recipients, media releases, www announcement
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Decisions: 4th Thursday of March
Committee makes award decisions to be approved by the Executive Board at their April meeting.
All applicants are notified by letter and/or email as to whether or not they have been selected to receive a grant. Awardees are invited to attend the Leonardtown Rotary Club’s business meeting in April.
Awards: Thursday, April 27, 2017
Recipients receive check at Leonardtown Rotary Club’s business meeting.
• Hospice of St. Mary’s represented by Eve Love & Terry Brannigan
• St. John’s Charitable Society represented by Lois Plunkert
• Historic Sotterley represented by Eve Love
• A Community That Shares represented by Chip Burton
• Literacy Council of Southern Maryland represented by Susan Brookbank
• Christmas in April represented by Darene Kleinsorgen
• St. Mary’s Historical Society represented by Susan Wolfe and John Roache
• Helpful Hooves represented by Sherri St. Clair
• Three Oaks Homeless Shelter represented by Lanny Lancaster
• Patruxent River Naval Air Museum represented by George Hill
• St. Mary’s County Adult Substance Abuse Recovery Court represented by Judge Karen Abrams
• Greenwell represented by Jolanda Cambell
• Pajama Connection represented by Sue Smith
• Greenwell represented by Caitlyn Fernald
• Southern Maryland Tri-County Community Action Energy Bills Assistance represented by Marcia Chase
• Patuxent Habitat for Humanity represented by Laurie Walker and Holly Kellog
• Leonardtown Vol. Rescue Squad represented by Rocky Woodburn
• Paralympic Sports represented by Christina Bishop
• United Committee for Afro-American Contributions represented by Michael Brown and Dr. Bernice Williams
$8,010 were distributed to deserving non-profits, with thanks for making St mary's a better place to work and live.
Any questions regarding the application or the application process
should be directed to Community Services Chair, Lynn Fitrell